OK, this is for all of you that get jealous when us Aussie's
talk about eating Kangaroo.
So, I've decided to share my super-easy recipe for Peppered Kangaroo Pie. This recipe takes about 25 minutes to prepare, 30 minutes to cook and serves 4 people.
Now, I know it'd be a bit hard for you to slip on down to AussieLand to go on one of our famous Kangaroo hunts, so I've sourced an outlet in the USA. The link is:
You guys in other countries will have to try and source it yourselves. If you get stuck though, you can substitute the roo with beef, or chicken, or armadillo, or whatever you like.OK here's the ingredients:
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 500g (17 oz) kangaroo mince
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons coarsely cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cups prepared beef stock
- 12 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 8 sheets filo pastry
Here's how you cook it:
1. Preheat the oven to 190c (375f) (170c or 335f fan forced). Spray a large pie dish with vegetable oil. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add oil, onion and parsnip. Cook for 6 min, add kangaroo mince and cook over a high heat until well browned.
2. Sprinkle mince with flour, pepper and salt to taste. Slowly add tomato paste and stock, stirring to remove any lumps. Bring to a simmer and stir through mushrooms and parsley. Spoon mixture into pie dish.
3. Spray or brush pastry thoroughly with olive oil and scrunch up each sheet. Place over mince to form a pie top. Bake for 30 min or until pastry is golden. Serve with mashed kumara and steamed beans.
If any of you guys actually cook this, can you please share your thoughts...